Washington Section B: Trout Lake to White Pass (August 20-23, 2012)

Trout Lake was one of my favorite trail towns -
very small, very rural, super cute!  I loved the beautiful flowers...


... not to mention those huckleberry milkshakes at the Trout Lake Cafe!



Trout Lake grocery

Happy PCT hikers, waiting for their rides:  Leslie (southbound from Canada),
The Croation Sensation, Not A Chance, Rest Stop, Honoh (Flameboy)


Lupine

Yup, that's Mount Adams.



Pretty wildflowers!  Paintbrush, Lupine, and, uhm...
(That's already the end of my botanical knowledge...)



Mount St. Helens to the left (west); Mount Rainier to the north

I think this is Mount Rainier.

This is definitely Mount Adams.


Glacier on Mount Adams

Silty Creek





Close-up of that glacer




This was the only creek crossing that was a little exciting - the currents were
pretty strong, and deep.  I tried to cross on the little log "bridge" first, but it
was being shaken so badly by the water that I resorted to boulder hopping
and getting my feet wet instead.








Pond behind Killen Creek

Mount Adams at sunset



I thought this cloud looked like something out of a Dr. Seuss book.

Waterfall next to my camp site



Pika in the rocks at Lava Spring

(One of the many many times I wished my camera was a little better...)



Approaching the Goat Rocks


Looking back towards Mount Adams




Approaching Cispus Pass


Everything was just covered in lupine.



Late Start and Second Chance up on the ridge

They were so nice to take a picture of me.  (Several, actually.)

Still before Cispus Pass






I took the straight way up the snow field (see those muddy footprints
to the left?) and started a minor mud slide in the process.




Snow bridge

The Goat Rocks were so unbelievably beautiful that day.
I felt like I was walking through the Garden of Eden.


Tow-headed Baby




Columbine


(False) Hellebore



Looking back at the Cispus River, and the Goat Rocks above



Mount Adams again...




I had never seen that many wildflowers in my entire life.





The day had been beautiful, but now it was getting late,
and the clouds were moving in...

I tried to race the clouds coming in from the west, so that I would be able
to cross the Knife's Edge before they were there, but of course I lost...

Packwood Glacier

I took the "stock route" thinking it would be easier - it was late already,
and I didn't want to climb up any higher.  Boy, was I wrong!!!
My sincere respects to any horse that ever attempts that trail.
It certainly scared the heck out of me.  (Sliding scree, anybody?!)


More clouds rolling in...

And so it happened that this was all I ever got to see of the Knife's Edge,
"one of the most scenic areas of the entire PCT" (as my guide book promised)...

I ended up camping on the Knife's Edge!  I certainly had not intended to,
but it was icy and windy and close to getting dark, and I was exhausted from
a long day of hiking.  I was stumbling along the ridge when I suddenly saw a
human form appear in the fog in front of me.  A friendly couple, Molly and
Dumptruck, were so nice to offer sharing their little camp spot with me, so I
decided to call it a day and hunker down.  It was so good to be out of the wind!
(And with company - thanks again, guys!)

I had had some hopes that the weather might be better the next morning, but
alas - no.  Clouds again!  (The irony of this is that when I got out of my tent
in the middle of the night, the entire sky was clear.  Seems like the clouds
decided to come back in the morning just to annoy me...)

Once you descended to lower elevations, you got out of the clouds.

My guidebook said:  "beautiful campsite with great
views of Mount Rainier!" - Um, yeah...





The weather was icy.  I later met somebody (local) who told me that this was
the kind of weather they typically had in October:  "We usually have a bit of
a bug problem in August but this is nice and refreshing!" - I was shivering in
my fleece hat and gloves and tried to find it "nice and refreshing", too...

Shoe Lake



Looking down towards White Pass
(My camera became hypothermic and refused to take any more pictures after this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment