Cascade Locks (August 12-14, 2012)

I had not planned to stay this long in Cascade Locks, but I needed to get a replacement for my broken camera, had promised someone a long phone call, and - most important of all - I needed to get all my resupply packages packed and mailed out for the entire state of Washington!  But mostly, Cascade Locks was just a really cool place to hang out with other hikers.  

Starvation Creek Falls
Shrek, a local trail angel, drove me and some other hikers
to Hood River (where I got a new camera of dubious quality
at WalMart).  We stopped at this state park along the way.

With my new camera (and lots of resupply food bags) in Shrek's yard.
I had not known there was a trail angel in Cascade Locks, so this was a very
pleasant surprise.  Even better, it turned out that I knew him!  We had chatted
for a bit at the kick-off three years earlier, when I started my California hike.
Another hiker I knew from 2009, Gourmet, was also staying at Shrek's place.

The Columbia River



The Cascade Locks Marine Park

All of my missing mail had made it to Cascade Locks!  - "Jauchzet, frohlocket!"

Shrek, and another hiker from Germany with the extra space blanket I gave him

Me and some other hikers (Rattlebee, Calf, ...) were in the restaurant trying
to determine what the sign on the other side of the bridge was saying.  My
guess was "Welcome to Washington", but alas, it turned out I was wrong.  (I
have to admit I have forgotten what it actually did say when I walked past it.)



The PCT hiker site at the Port Marine RV Park
They were letting us camp there for free!

Resupply madness in my tent vestibule

Instant coffee, yay!  Thank you, Shawn!

Everything sorted nicely into boxes


Now I just needed to get all of those
resupply boxes to the post office...


No comments:

Post a Comment